Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Case for "Mental" Stops



Most traders (I'm beginning to wonder if I should keep referring to them as traders or losers.)
use stop loss orders to protect them from a move against them when they enter a trade. As you can see above, if you 'protected yourself with a stop above your sell entry, you could have gotten stopped out and taken a small loss -- then missed a great sell-off.
I use a 'mental' stop loss meaning I don't enter it in the executioners platform. I just watch to see if there is some level (in this case) above my entry where price could pop up to. Then if I don't like the trade I can exit manually with a small loss.
But I don't want to be 'spooked' out of a good trade.
Your broker can educate you on the use of market orders, stop loss orders and limit orders.
WARNING: Trading futures involves risk of capital. You can lose all of your money. Before you try this you should consult a government liecensed financial adviser to determine if futures trading is suitable for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment